This book is great for general understanding of measurements. So why does Mr Archimedes’ bath always overflowed? Who is responsible for it- is it the Wombat, Goat or Kangaroo? As the foreword says, “Offers science in a story-book…”
Some ways to use this book:
1) Exploring who the real Archimedes was
- Who was Archimedes? (A Greek mathematician, philosopher and inventor who made significant contributions to geometry, arithmetic and mechanics).
- Explore a map/route of where Archimedes came from, studied, lived and died.
- Kangaroo was the first to stay out of the bath, Goat was the second and Wombat was the third.
3) Exploring the law of displacement
- In very simple terms, the law of displacement proposes that any floating object displaces its own weight of fluid.
- Check out this video : http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/videos/physics/archimedesprinciple.html
- Carry out experiment with plastic animals in a container of water.