- Focuses on the parts and details.
- Looks at the number and facts to select a suitable formula or procedure.
- Formula, procedure-oriented
- Constrained focus. Uses on method.
- Works in serially ordered steps, usually forward.
- Uses numbers exactly as given.
- More comfortable with paper and pen. Documents method.
- Unlikely to check or evaluate answer.
- Often does not understand procedures or values of numbers. Works mechanically.
- Overviews, holistic, puts together.
- Looks at the numbers and facts to estimate an answer, or narrow down the range of answers. Controlled exploration.
- Flexible focus. Uses a range of methods.
- Often works back from a trail answer.
- Adjusts, breaks down/ builds up numbers to make an easier calculation.
- Rarely documents method. Performs calculations mentally (and intuitively).
- Likely to appraise and evaluate answer against original estimate. Checks by an alternative method/ procedure.
- Good understanding of number methods and relationships.