Make a Sentence
Number of Players
- 1 deck of playing cards.
- Remove Kings, Queens and Jacks.
- A word list (if required).
Object of the Game
- To win the most cards. Cards are won by the first player to make a sentence from their cards.
Setting up the Game
Choose the level based on the child’s vocabulary. For example if your child knows five letter words then you would use the ace, twos, threes ,fours, fives and jokers. However if your child knows 10 letter words then you can use aces to tens and the jokers.
Before starting explain the following:
That the card represents the number of letters that will be used in the word.
1 letter word: a, I 4 letter word: book, dial free word: six, lamp
How to play
- Shuffle the cards and deal four cards to each player.
- Each player makes a sentence based on their cards. The cards may be arranged in any order. For example if you have a three, ace, four and two. You can make the sentence, “I like my cat.”
I like my cat
- All players make a sentence and decide on which is grammatically correct.
- The player who makes a sentence that is grammatically correct keeps his cards while the other players place their cards back into the pile.
- Continue until all the cards in the pile have been played or till four cards cannot be distributed evenly between the players.
- The player who has the most cards at the end of the game wins.